The EMDR Research Foundation offers a travel award of up to $1,000 to support dissemination of research findings by clinicians, doctoral students, or university faculty presenting their research at local, national and international non-EMDR professional meetings. The travel award must be applied for and awarded prior to meeting attendance. Distribution of the funds will be made after the meeting upon submission of the required documentation.
Areas of Priority
Proposed presentations examining the effectiveness of EMDR Therapy in the three tiers listed below will be considered. These priorities apply to research across the lifespan, so that a study might address, for example, adolescent addiction, or geriatric depression.
1st Priority – Advancing Evidence Based Practice: Increase the availability of quality EMDR research in areas where we already have a foot-hold in the literature but where more evidence is needed. Specifically, those areas are in the use of EMDR therapy to treat:
- Military PTSD
- Phantom Limb Pain
- To enhance recovery from the impact of cardiac events and the diagnosis and treatment of cancer
2nd Priority – Addressing the Global Burden of Trauma: Investigate the use of EMDR in natural or man-made disaster responses, by determining the effectiveness of the following protocols: early intervention protocols, the child or adult group protocols, or the use of EMDR standard protocols in disaster response.
3rd Priority – Building Clinical Evidence: There are a number of areas where EMDR therapy is being used, clinical observations are positive, and there are some research indicators of success. However, more research is needed to build a body of literature in these populations or diagnostic categories, including but not limited to:
- Eating disorders
- Dissociative disorders
- Additional medical/somatic conditions
- Suicide prevention and/or to address the impact of suicide
Any clinician, doctoral student, or faculty member that presents their EMDR focused research at a local, national or international non-EMDR professional meeting is eligible to receive a travel award. As an international organization the EMDR Research Foundation accepts proposals from U.S. and international applicants; however, applications must be submitted in English and budgets developed in U.S. dollars.
Allowable expenses include those direct costs associated with meeting attendance such as meeting registration, airfare, and lodging. Disbursement of funds will be made post meeting and requires a copy of the meeting program with the presenter’s name and presentation title and submission of travel-related receipts.
Amount: Up to $1000 per award
The presentation must:
- Be based upon research conducted specifically on EMDR therapy
- Be peer-reviewed or invited
- Be an oral session or workshop, not a poster session
- Acknowledge travel support from the EMDR Research Foundation
Applications will be accepted year round and applicants will be notified of funding decisions within 30 days of receipt of the complete application. The EMDR Research Foundation only accepts applications through our online application system, which is accessible through our website by clicking here. An electronic copy of each application document is required – and only accepted through the online application form. Any application received without all required documents will not be reviewed. Applicants are encouraged to carefully review the required documentation and prepare all documents for uploading before initiating the online application. Applicants applying for a Travel Award must apply before they attend the meeting.
The required application documents are :
- Completion of the online applicaiton form fields, including:
- Name, phone number(s), email address, comlete mailing address, university (if applicable), graduate department or school (if applicable), presentation title, and abstract
- Name, date and location of meeting
- Overview of meeting aims/objectives
- A brief summary of the significance of the information being disseminated in the presentation and the priority area being addressed. (Note: summary may be entered into the summary form field or uploaded as a document.)
- Copy of the presentation to be given or if unavailable a copy of the proposal that was accepted [upload document through the online application]
- Cost for meeting attendance (this may exceed the amount of the award). [Note: cost may be entered into the cost form field or upoloaded as a document.]
- A curriculum vitae/resume of the applicant [upload cv through the online application]
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed and mailed or faxed documents will not be accepted. All documents must be submitted simultaneously through the online application. Applicants are advised to keep a complete set of application documents for their own files.
The review committee will consider the following criteria when evaluating the merits of each application:
- The degree to which the proposed presentation addresses one of the priority areas established by the Foundation as listed in this announcement
- The potential significance the project has for building knowledge in and strengthening EMDR practice and research
- The clarity and specificity of the proposed presentation
Access and submit your application online through the tab at the top of this page. Questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please check our website for the latest version of this document. To view a PDF version of this document, please click here. Revised 09/5/2015.
Applications for the Research Dissemination Travel Award are accepted year round. Applicants will be notified of funding decisions within 30 days of receipt of the application. An electronic copy of each application document is required. Documents must be in Word (.DOC, .DOCX) or Portable Document (.PDF) format. Any application received without all required documents will not be reviewed.
Carefully review the eligibility, allowable expenses. award criteria and selection criteria; and prepare all required application documents for uploading before initiating this electronic application form.